Sunday, July 13, 2014

Groceries

I left Las Vegas, home to nearly 2 million people in the valley. We had amazing grocery stores. Smith's, Albertson's, Von's, Glaziers, Food 4 Less, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and others, including grocery stores in China Town, Mexican markets, International Foods, numerous weekly farmers markets, etc. If I wanted something? I could get it.

Here in Bemidji, we have two Leuken's, City Place, Harmony Co-Op, Target and Walmart. If you want to drive out of town, to Cass Lake (or is it Red Lake? Anyway. I went) there is a Teal's. On Saturdays, we have a farmers market, I've went twice and been disappointed to find mostly jams, jellies, donuts and crafts. And some days, depending on the harvest, we have a random farm stand open.

The prices, except at Target, and possibly Walmart, but I don't know because I didn't shop there in Vegas and so far, I've managed to avoid it here, as well, are 30-50% higher than in Vegas. And the selection? Whoa. I miss my deli.

Friday found me at Target for basics, Stittsworth Meat for meat and cheese, Leukens for groceries, and yesterday, Craig and I hit the farm stand and scored fresh corn on the cob, blueberries, green beans, plums and strawberries. All for so much more than we would have spent in Vegas.

Adjustments, for sure.


3 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to me to see how stuff that can be grown locally (and usually is) is so much more expensive than stuff that comes from, say, Canada. But it's really surprising that Vegas is cheaper for some of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to groceries, Vegas is cheaper for everything, not some of it.

    Now drinks at a bar? Bemidji is half the price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have guessed that Vegas prices would be cheaper. Wow.

    ReplyDelete